Monday, February 23, 2009

Learning to Read by Malcolm X



Even though it was not an assignment, I was flipping through the pages of our book, and I noticed this essay by Malcolm X. Curiosity took over and slowly, I found myself enjoying it; I found it inspiring. I don't need to imagine the frustration of not being able to express myself because it is just a reality in my life. I struggle with English every single day of my life; if it wasn't because I like it so much, I would have given up a long time ago. In essays like this one, "Learning to Read" by Malcolm X, I find inspiration. However, I have also found out that inspiration alone is just not enough; it also needs to be accompanied with effort and dedication to whatever it is that one is trying to achieve. Nevertheless, inspiration is a good prelude to begin ones journey.

Some people condemn Malcolm X for his means to bring equality to the African-American community. History has proven Malcolm X a necessary man, at a crucial time, for an extremely needed people. His ways might have been rough but, one needs to understand that he was just a product of his environment. I find it interesting how he taught himself while in jail. Reading, coping, and studying dictionaries is an example of tremendous dedication. I wish I had this kind of focus. In this essay (pg.231-14) there is a statement which really caught my attention and it is as follows: "… if you started with a black man, a white man could be produced; but, starting with a white man you never could produced a black man—because the white chromosome is recessive. And since no one disputes that there was but one Original Man, the conclusion is clear." This is crazy! Really interesting isn't it?

I took Biology not too long ago and I don't know what to think of this! Can anybody help? Anybody!

1 comment:

  1. Biology has never been a favorite of mine. Sorry can't help you there. However, way to go above and beyond the call of duty! That's awesome that you read this on your on accord. It sounds like it was an interesting piece. I really like that you said inspiration alone is not enough but that we also need to put forth an effort. I think that's something we lack a lot of...we have inspiration all around us, but lack the effort to make anything of it. Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete