Sunday, February 1, 2009

Idiot Nation by Michael Moore


The best way to approach this essay, like any other essay, is with a complete open mind. I found out that it helps to get rid of our biases before engaging in a new reading adventure. After having read "Idiot Nation," I realized that I had discovered the Rush Limbaugh of the extreme left. Even though we all know that these two men have opposite ideologies, I can see they have something in common; they both feed on controversies and are loyal to their biases. As to answer his question, "Do you feel like you live in a nation of idiots?" Without a doubt, my answer is NO! Because personally I know so many intelligent people (like all of my classmates and my professor); and I know of so many brilliant Americans as well. Such as Franklin Chang Diaz, John Forbes Jr., and Bill Gates, just to mention a few. However, Mr. Moore makes some points that are hard to disagree with. For example, he mentions that our educational system is in urgent need of overhaul; this argument is backed by some studies, which have been done independently by various groups. Thus, Mr. Moore leaves the reader no option but to agree with him. At least this is how I felt. Do any of my classmates feel different about this point? However, he has done what he does best; he has exaggerated the facts, or has only focused on the negative. Why? Some of you may ask. Because, this way it creates controversy, which Mr. Moore uses to feed his propaganda machine. Nevertheless, after reading his essay, it is clear to me that Mr. Moore has a soft spot for some teachers of this nation. Finally, I found something positive in this essay full of so much negativism. But as I read on, I was not sure if teachers really want this kind of kindness. I mean, he is for getting the teachers some more money for the work they do, which is thoughtful of him. I am sure teachers all over this nation could use an extra income. However, at the same time, he advises students to make teachers lives a living hell. So, is he advocating getting teachers a better pay, or is he trying to make teachers feel like they have to tolerate nonsense because they are making enough money?

6 comments:

  1. I like the way you express yourself. I just get heated up and I don't say what I'm thinking. I like that you had an open mind because I didn't and I wish that I would have. I appriciated what you had to say and I think that you had some really good points.

    P.S. My name is Stefanie, and I'm the new girl in the class! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Felipe,

    I agree with you in the way Michael Moore comes across, in that you either agree with him or not. Also, I think the point he was trying to make about making teachers lives a living hell was that kids need to think for themselves. "So the kids learn to submerge any personal expression. They learn it's better to go along so that you get along." (Moore 147). He is all about trying to get the kids to be "well-adjusted participant[s] in our thriving democracy!" (147)

    America is full of bright people no doubt about it. I think the point he is trying to make is the people running our country and government institutions aren't very bright in general (which obviously isn't always true).

    Great post Felipe. Let's talk more in class.

    Michael Hepworth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Felipe, I really like your point of view on this paper! I agree with your assessment. I think we have a lot of very intelligent people living in this country. While Michael does address some viable issues in the education system, I feel that his bias clouds the lens too much to get an accurate picture of the topic he is attempting to address. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Felipe-
    I don't think that Moore was trying to influence students to make teachers lives hell. I think that he is saying challenge their thinking. Also, people learn different ways and so teachers need to teach in different ways. I do agree that some teachers should get a higher wage, but if you look online at the districts web page you can look at every one's salary and see that most make between $40-60 thousand a yr plus great benefits. That sounds really nice to me insurance, parking space, and a great salary. Let me know if you look on the website and let me know what you think.
    -Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. well you got one thing right... your fellow classmates and professor are very much not the idiots. haha no, i actually do agree with you, Moore has this powerful voice that intimidates you to prsue you his way. Yes, there are sooo many idiots out there but the only idiot in this book is HIM?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You were correct in saying Michael loves controversy.I think it lights a fire under his high horse to voice his opinion to anyone who listens.He is wrong with a lot of his ideas.I will agree with him on needing for the education system to be fixed.It seems more logical to fix all of it rather than placing a bandaid on and hoping that helps. Now we need to see who is going to fix it and how.

    ReplyDelete