Monday, January 12, 2009

What it Means to Me to be an American Citizen




What does it mean to me to be an American citizen?

It is an honor and a privilege to be a citizen of the U.S.A.. It also means that I am part of one of the last true democracies in the world; a democracy that gets better everyday. By being a citizen of the U.S.A., I am part of a country where dreams can still be achieved. Where stories like that of Chang Diaz and Barack Obama inspire many people like myself to believe that the U.S.A is still the land of opportunity and where the impossible is only a state of mind.

However, being a citizen also implies that I have responsibilities as well. Such as, exercising my right to vote in the wisest way possible to ensure that we elect only those working toward the best interest of the U.S.A. and its people. It also means that I have to be willing to defend our country if need be. The next statement might get a little confusing for some people, if so, write me and I will explain more. I became a citizen of the U.S.A. by way of naturalization but, I have always been an American by birth.


How will this text challenge or complicate my opinions?

I am really looking forward to any challenges that this text might bring. But, what I really hope to get out of this text when this class is over, is to be able to identify fallacies in my thought process; and to help me stop looking for fallacies where none exist. I also hope to become a better writer, thinker, communicator, and a better citizen. I don't think that this text will complicate my opinions because I am willing to admit when I am mistaken. I am ready to learn.

6 comments:

  1. That is a very good definition of the ideas that encompass the American dream. Our right and duty to vote is certainly very important and often looked at in hindsight. I am certain it has been said many times by many people, "I should have gone and voted, but it's to late because that idiot has been elected to office". The media has a very definite factor on our democratic process as well that cannot be overlooked. I have a firm belief that media influence can make or break an election. Anyway enough of that ill step down off the "soup box".

    You make a very valid point, kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, sometimes I get too wrapped up in the benefits of being an American citizen that I forget about the responsibilities that accompany them. Thanks for reminding me to also look at the responsibilities of being an American. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Felipe! I love how you bring a fresh perspective to being a citizen of the USA instead of that from those who are born into it. I like your example of Obama showing how opportunity if for everyone. My favorite has to be your comment about the responsibility to defend our country. I for one am so happy to have you in this class and look forward to many more insightful posts from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Felipe, First off i just read that English was your second language? Where are you from. I can't imagine how much more difficult this class would be! Im already struggling with English being my only language. Besides that i really like your comment, "America is a place where dreams can still be achieved". Inspiration such as Obamma, becomming our first Impossible is only a state of mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. soooo that comment above is from LaLa sorry I really dont know what im doin. I couldnt sign on mine! Clearbear is my rommie. ;(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Felipe, As I read your Blog, "What it means to be an American Citizen" I gained new perspective of what it may mean to be an American. Because, of my limited perspective, I never thought of myself as an American, in respect to continent. I feel it is unifying to say American in respect to continent.
    I also appreciate that you included the role of citizen, as the responsibilities, I feel are often overlooked.

    ReplyDelete